Pages

Thursday, June 5, 2014

VegTrek: VeggieTales' History In Space & Sci-Fi

So, it's common knowledge that Veggies in Space was an incredibly awesome episode of VT -- no surprise there :) Excitement! Laughs! So many sci-fi references I can't count them all! And on top of that, a fresh, fun look at sharing and generosity!

But if you're fairly new to VT, you may not know that The Fennel Frontier was hardly their first voyage into the sci-fi genre; the veggies have been taking it to the galaxy for some time now, in both actual space travel and in science fiction references. 

So, I've gone through my VT DVDs so we can take a look back on what you could call the VeggieTales space race. We begin a long time ago in a small animation company far, far away...

The Gourds Must Be Crazy (1995)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

Yes, that's what the original U.S.S. Applepies looked like. And it still is an impressive feat of CG considering it was the third-ever VT episode.

In this episode, Junior and the crew learned to look past superficial perceptions of others when two "crazy" gourds saved the ship from a killer popcorn meteor. Not only did those gourds go on to become a permanent part of the VT troupe, we seriously would not have Scooter the Carrot if this awesome episode never came to be -- he was our Scotty!

Perhaps one of the coolest things to me about this episode (aside from the iconic tune, "I Can Be Your Friend") is that is subtly ties into Veggies in Space. Though that connection begs a question; we know that Scooter retired from the Applepies, where are Jimmy and Jerry working now? Well, either at the Bumblyburg Science Labs, modeling pants on the Veggie Shopping Network, or exploring planets like at the beginning of Veggies in Space

Either way, the Applepies crew owes their lives to those two who got "Meet Me At St. Louis" stuck in our heads :)

 

Larry-Boy And The Fib From Outer Space! (1997)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

Considering their science knowledge doesn't expand far past metabolism, why would these two be working at the Bumblyburg Science Labs? 

"Because we wanted to see space aliens!" 

This is pretty clear since Jerry is wearing Spock ears. I have to say, I have mad respect for anyone who wears merch to a science lab! I hope Jerry's not too upset for me posting this for all the internet to see, though. Be proud of your nerdiness, Jerry!

LarryBoy Super Shorts: Fly By Might (2002)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.
 
This GIF says it all (and boy, was it hard to make!) The Cucumber of Steel had dealt with that pesky fly for the last time. Apparently, his plungers have their own TIE Fighter-like targeting system. It's hard not to look at this and say, "I have you now" in Darth Vader's voice!
 
Unfortunately, LarryBoy didn't win this battle. The fly evidently had Force powers of his own!


Lutfi's Fanciful Flannelgraph: The Story Of St. Patrick (2004)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

 "Now Ireland was the land of the Druids, and the people there spoke a different language. But we'll make believe that everyone spoke English, like Star Trek."
 

"Even the pigs?"
 

"No, not the pigs."
 

"OK." XD


Bully Trouble (2005)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

This hilariously classic short episode isn't really parodying anything as far as I can tell. But pure, original space craziness is just as good as hilarious sci-fi nods. Anyone else sometimes quote Junior Spaceman's computer when making toast? 

"You are toast. You are warm bread cut at a diagonal that is subsequently spread with butter or jam."

"Your toast selections are: wheat, white, sourdough, honey wheat..."

And anyone else curious about Junior's space gizmo? I bet it's capable of more than just inflating enemies...


The Wonderful Wizard Of Ha's (2007)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

You might think that this episode would be the least likely to include a sci-fi reference, but just like the enchanted poppies in the original film, a good Star Wars quote is hard to resist! 

When distracted by a field of puppies (and rightfully so, those little guys are adorable!), Scarecrow urges them to, "Stay on target, stay on target...", which may sounds familiar to those who recall the Battle of Yavin at the end of Star Wars Episode IV. It's very subtle, but it's so great! The Star Wars-nerdy side of me can't get over it!

 

Princess And The Popstar (2011)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

In space, you never know what you might encounter. Mutant aliens, kissing aliens, robo-pogos gone crazy! Having a communicator is vital, even if it happens to be your sister's peaPod (yes, that's what they're called).

"I'm sensing a lifeform... I hope it's friendly-- AHH MUTANT ALIEN!!" 

I think I'm going to need to write a Pepper appreciation blog sometime, but that's not important now. What's important is, don't leave home without your peaPod!

 

The Little Drummer Boy (2011)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

VeggieTales and Star Wars are two of my most favorite things, so upon on my first viewing of this episode, I was half geeking out and half giggling to see such a boldly silly Star Wars gag!

"CUKE SKYWALKER!"
 

 "That's 'Magi' not 'Jedi'!"
 

*Gestures to camel wearing landspeeder-esque ship* "Can I still keep my sandspeeder?"
 

"Probably not."
 

*Holds fork* "May the fork be with you?"
 

"PLEASE STOP."
 

The way Archibald says that bit at the end... I can't watch this scene without laughing!

 

"Floating" Short (2014)

 

 

This little gem of animation that is strangely absent from the Veggies in Space DVD is very clearly a nod to Gravity, and you don't need to have seen it to know!

I love that dramatic narration at the beginning... gravity is indeed a harsh reality!

 

Veggies In Space: The Fennel Frontier (2014)

 

Image credit: my own DVD.

 

I literally can't name all the references in this one -- and not just because I'm not as heavily-versed in science fiction as I ought to be. But that's just part of the reason it's a fantastic episode! 

On top of all the fun sci-fi nods, they put so so much beautiful, fun detail into this one with all the new robots, aliens, ships, and a whole planet! (Anybody else realize that Tootanny is almost Star Wars' "Tatooine" in reverse?) But in case you haven't seen it yet, I won't go and spoil anything else for you... you'll just have to take my word for it! :) If only they'd made an audio commentary for this one...

So, there you have it: more reasons to admire Big Idea's endless creativity! Anyone craving some M&Ns and pudding? Um... you got any to share?

GMUS & <3sUVM,
 - Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment