Pages

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

News On Noah + Jaci Velasquez Interview!

Hey, Veggie fans! There's been quite a flurry of news coming out regarding the first DVD release of the new VT era, Noah's Ark! Read on for some of my own thoughts on this exciting next chapter!

Image credit: DWA TV PR


When I first heard that the next episode would be a new retelling of the Noah story, I was a little surprised; didn't they already retell this Bible story on Minnesota Cuke and the Search For Noah's Umbrella? On the commentary for that episode, it was stated that the Minnesota Cuke episodes worked well for retelling darker Bible stories (it's not all rainbows and fuzzy animals, you know), so I wasn't expecting them to try Noah again. But the more I've heard about this new approach, the more excited I am for it. Plus, the first VeggieTales movie concept before Jonah was about Noah's ark, so I'm curious if this episode will have any similarities to that earlier concept. But in any case, it's appropriate that this episode is going back to where the show began -- retelling Bible stories in a fun, fresh way! So, I can say with great certainty that Noah has me excited for more reasons than one.

The first thing that I'm definitely looking forward to is that they're doing this up as a musical. Of course, VT has always rocked at doing musicals, as no episode to date has been without a song (or two or three), but I think the boat-bound musical subgenre is an especially fun way to flip the story of Noah around a bit. A little less "doomsday" and a bit more "Anchors Aweigh"!

Another thing I'm very excited for is that this episode's got a couple of amazing voices on board: Wayne Brady and Jaci Velasquez! They will be playing Noah's son, Shem, and his wife, Sadie. I'm seriously excited, because Wayne Brady is a hilarious actor and an epic singer, and Jaci Velasquez is an amazing singer and radio show host! I love Shem and Sadie's character designs, and I think they'll fit in perfectly into the VT world. I really love how many great actors and singers have been showing up in VT lately, from Rob Paulsen and Tress MacNeille's roles on In the House to Terry Crews's stellar performance as Bruce Onion in Celery Night Fever! Phil and Mike can do perfectly on their own, but it's always great seeing the Veggie world expanded :)

And I'd be completely wrong if I didn't mention how adorable these animals are. I'm impressed since the massive amount of fur was apparently the reason why the Noah film didn't fly in the first place. I don't yet know what company's doing their animation, whether it will still be Huhu or if Bardel will take over. Bardel's work with furry creatures in DWA's Puss in Boots and King Julien series has proved to be awesome, so they'll look great if they go that route. Either way, I'm really glad that VT is in a place now where they try something technologically that they couldn't do ten years ago!

One of the things I'm most curious about with this new chapter is what the format will be like. I've already heard they're reanimating the original intro to fit the new style, so that's definitely going to be exciting to see come to life. Will they ever give Larry a break on that tuba so he doesn't nearly pass out? (Probably not!) In addition, we'll likely get to see the new countertop and hopefully Qwerty too (though I'm not entirely sure on this, considering there isn't a Qwerty in ITH's kitchen, but we'll have to wait and see). It'll be interesting to see how these new versions of the crew we've gotten to know in ITH will translate to a regular VT episode format.

Finally, I'm very much looking forward to seeing their spin on the lesson. Noah's Umbrella chose to talk about having the confidence to do what God wants us to do, while the new Noah is a lesson in trusting God. I really like the twist they've come up with... I could easily see Noah and his folks having some questions about God's plan in the midst of that massive flood. So, that really works well as this episode's moral, finding something unique to set it apart from the already awesome Minnesota Cuke.

And if nothing I've said has you pumped up yet, this interview with Sadie herself, Jaci Velasquez, ought to! (Thanks, DWA TV!) Read on.



Why did you want to make a VeggieTales movie?
VeggieTales is like the Mecca of our house – I’ve got two little boys, and they cannot get enough VeggieTales. So, to be a part of this is just a wonderful thing for me. My husband and I like to sing to our kids, but they could care less – it’s to the point where we’ll sing and practice a song with them while we’re giving them baths and they’ll plug their ears and say, “Mommy, Daddy! Stop!” To be part of VeggieTales and do something for the first time that my kids might actually enjoy is wonderful.

The story of Noah and his ark has been told many times. What makes the VeggieTales version different?
Well, I’m pretty sure it will be the only version with singing vegetables and a giant squid! I think it was pretty brave of VeggieTales to take on the story of Noah because it is so familiar – but they make it feel completely new. The animals are absolutely adorable, and there’s so much comedy; I’ve always thought VeggieTales movies were funny, but this one is really funny. They’ve also really discovered something important about the story, because Noah’s Ark is about patience, trusting and believing. Kids need to understand those things. Whatever we pour into our children is what will pour out of them – what they learn as children is what they will be as adults. We are planting seeds in their hearts and souls, and it’s important for them to understand that God has a purpose and a plan. We don’t always understand it, and we have to trust in it. That’s a big lesson, and Noah’s Ark helps parents start to teach it.

Who is your favorite VeggieTales character?
Sorry to be so typically “normal,” but it’s always Larry! I love Madame Blueberry, as well, but really… Larry. He just makes you happy. He makes you laugh. It’s like he’s every kid you’ve ever known, but he’s not – because he’s a vegetable!

Why do you think VeggieTales has been so popular for so long?
I think parents want good entertainment for their kids, especially in the world we live in. You know, human beings are born knowing how to do the wrong thing, but we need to be taught how to do the right thing, and what better way to do that than through entertainment? As a mom, I know that it can get really overwhelming to try to teach kids everything they need to know. You say prayers with them at night, you read books with them, you take them to Sunday school – but that’s only one day a week. So it helps to have entertainment that teaches them the truth and that teaches them fundamental things about life. As a parent, VeggieTales gives me such gratitude!

 

Definitely looking forward to seeing this one and talking about it in my review! Until then...


GMUS & <3sUVM

- Chandler

No comments:

Post a Comment